Friday, November 15, 2013

Athletics Story

Athletics
11/11/2013

“Yeah” everyone was so excited that the bus was here. “ Do you want to sit on the bus together?” I asked Emma. “ Sure” she replied. We both walked into the bus and took our seat. “ We did this last year didn't we” Emma whispered. “ Yeah” We both chatted about each event. All of a sudden the bus stopped. “ Are we here” I asked Emma. “ I think so” she whispered. “ We have arrived at the Hastings Sports Park” Mrs Roil shouted so that everyone can hear her. “ Check if you have any lost property behind.” “ Everyone started to look but didn't find anything. Thump Thump! went the bus floor as everyone rushed out.I caught sight of a quarter of Nga Rakau ( Senior Classes ) eating and waiting for everyone to arrive. Also there was Nga Kaho too ( which is the year 4 classes ). Room 17 and 16 lined up in two wonky kind of lines which didn't even seemed to be a line and walked over to the others. I sat down on a patch of fresh green grass. In the corner of my eye I spotted the last bus which arrived about two minutes after us. It was room 19 and 18. “ Choo” blew the loud whistle which kind of made me frightened  and almost made me drop my Lunch.

“ 5 minutes” called Miss Garland. That meant that we only had five minutes to eat our morning tea and lunch. I quickly shoved the sandwich into my mouth and put my lunchbox away. “ OK” called Mrs Garland. “ Grab a sticker from Henry or Josh and put it on your arm. I asked Henry if I could have a sticker and he handed me one. I put the sticker on my arm and waited. “ Year four boys get in a line over here, year four girls get in a line here..... She called out so that everyone was sorted in their lines. She told everyone where we were heading. The year six girls which is my group was heading towards Mrs Hill for the 100 meter run. “ I am pretty sure I am going to come last” I said to myself nervously. I was the last one in line on the fifth track. Pressure started to take over my body. Suddenly all the people in front of me had already had their turn. Now it was my turn. I was going to run with pretty fast people. “ On your marks get set go!” called Mrs Hill. I shot of. Lucky I wasn't last. I was second to last. That is pretty good. I scored a one. At least I participated.

“ Next you girls go to the softball throw with Mrs Paki” called Mrs Hill. The girls rushed to the net and sat down quietly waiting for Mrs Paki to give the instructions.
“ OK” said Mrs Paki. “ You each have to grab a softball from the bucket and throw it as far as you can from the front of the net to the yellow cone. This round is just a practice. The next round will be the competition OK, and make sure you hand the ball to someone else once you've had a go because there is not enough balls for everyone”. All the girls rushed for a ball but there was none left when I went to get one. “ I’ll just have to get one from someone else” I say to myself. Paris shot a magnificent shot past the cone. Next up was Renee. Her arm swung up and let go of the ball. The ball went right past the cone. It was the biggest shot so far. Renee past me her ball and I took a shot. My arm made a sound as I swung it and let go of the ball. The ball landed just next to the cone.

I was proud of myself. I walked to the end of the line and grabbed a ball for the next shot. All the girls had already had a go so now it was time for the competition. I held the bright yellow ball tightly in my hands and was nervous that my shot will not make it past the yellow cone. I stood patiently in front of the line. I took my shot and it went about a meter past the yellow cone. “ Shot Hemani” called Renee as she walked back into line after Mrs Paki had marked her. I happily walked over to Mrs Paki to see what score I got. The score I received was a one. At least Renee cheered for me. Renee was the top girl to throw the softball at a far distance.

“OK” called Mrs Paki.” Next you go to the high Jump” All the year six girls stood quietly and walked over to Mr Ford and Mrs Joll. “ I was really nervous of if I was going to knock the pole down or if I was not going to make it. Mr Ford told as simple instruction of what foot you use to lift with.  My foot was my right so I had to be in a line with all the people that were going to use their right foot. I was about 13th person in line. Suddenly it was my turn. I ran up slowly like Mrs Joll said and lifted my right foot up and managed not to drop the pole. I was proud of myself but didn't want to do it again so I stepped out for the rest of it. When the high jump was over everyone had to go and sit down on the grass and have their food. The next event we had to go to was the 200 meter run. I stood in my lane and waited for Mr Cottrell to say on your marks get set go. “ In your marks get set go” shouted Mr Cottrell I started of slowly but then speed up. I came last. I had already got a 1 on my sticker for participating.

“ You guys were so fast” called Mr Gifkins. “ Now you can sprint over to Miss Garland for Long jump.” I didn't sprint because I didn't want to lose my energy so I just walked. Miss Garland explained the instructions and all the girls lined up in one long straight line. This was only a practice. I couldn't see who was first because I was too far back in line. I heard people cheering for whoever it was. Suddenly as all the girls in front of me had been, “ Next “ Called Mrs Garland. I shot of. As I came to the end of the track I took one big leap and managed to reach the middle of the sand. It was pretty good. As I ran back in line the sand in my foot was jumping up and down like a dance rehearsal. After a while when all the girls had been we were called to come and sit on the track again to listen what will happen next. “ Next” Called Mrs Garland “ is a competition of who jumps the longest distance. i was pretty nervous but when it was my go, I just gave it a shot. Just like before I shot up like a speed cheetah and took a huge leap like a frog. Mrs Garland scored me a two. That was the highest score I had so far on my score sticker. Proudly I walked and sat in the shade waiting for all the girls to have their turn.

“ OK, next you girls go to the 50 meter hurdles with Mrs Roil” said Mrs Garland.  I stood up and walked over to Mrs Roil. She waited for everyone to be quiet till she could talk. “ OK” she shouted. “ you girls have to get in a big bundle of here please.” I walked over to where she said to sit and sat down. Carefully I listened to what she said. She told us to go behind the leader she chose and sit down. My leader was Brooklyn. When my group was ready to go. Mrs Roil blew the whistle and off we went. I came last after I nearly tripped over a hurdle. “ You score a one” said Mrs McCann politely. I scattered over to my line and sat down once again. All the activities were over, wait , not all of them. There was a choice if we wanted to do a 800 meter run. “ All of you who want to do it come and stand over here” Shouted Mrs Garland. Some of Nga Rakau including the year four’s stood up and rushed over to Mrs Garland. I decided not to do this activity so I sat down and watched. The year four’s were racing first.

Anelia was in the lead. She was sprinting in front of all the other year fours. “ She is one fast girl” I say to myself. Next was the year fives and then the year sixes. Everyone did really well in the 800 meter run.  I sat down to have some more food before we leave on the bus. “ Check if there is any lost property behind please” Called Mrs Roil. It was only room 16, 17, 19 and 18 left. So everyone searched all over the place to find any lost property. There was a couple of sweatshirts and hats left behind. Some people managed to get theirs back but some belonged to the classes that had left. The bus arrived and room 16 and 17 hopped on. The next bus arrived and room 19 and 18 hopped on the one. The buses followed each other as if they were playing follow the leader all the way back to school. I was kind of exhausted after all the running. But at least everyone had a go and also had fun.

Reflection for Athletics
Something I was pleased with was that I participated in all the events and trying not to give up because I wanted to earn a lot of house points for my House and I wanted to be a little active.
I really enjoyed learning how the track is measured in meters because I wouldn't know where to run or where to start. Also half of the track equals 200 meters and the the whole track equals  400 meters.

Something I found hard was doing the high jump because it was really hard trying to follow the steps that Mrs Joll and Mr Ford told us. Also I couldn't really jump high.


Something that made me think was how everyone was encouraging me for the Soft ball throws. Because it made me think that I should encourage them too. Like Renee was always saying Shot Hemani.
                 
Something I want to get better at is trying my hardest at everything.

How I can do that is listening to what the teacher says and if people encourage me.

I added my scores up and got 7.
I did do pretty well.
         










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...